...for the earth is the Lord's, and all it contains.
1 Corinthian's 10:26

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

An update with no real updates (sigh)

     Ahh, nothing.  Unfortunately, we didn't get to start as planned in October.  We had good intentions, but my husband has been so busy with work (and we did take a little trip), that the month slipped by us.  It wasn't all wasted though. We did meet with our local electric representative and got the poles/line placement worked out (to my disappointment, we are going to have to cut a few trees, but we do plan on using them in some way).  We also recently purchased a 24' camper that we will shortly move over to the property and begin living there!  I've never been so psyched about the thought of living in a camper!  :D  And I think I have talked my husband into a composting toilet- by SunMar- so I'm thrilled with that!  (From what I understand, about half of your household water use is typically flushed, and since we will be catching rainwater, it seems more precious!)
     Someone had commented and wanted to see our layout, I am attaching a picture.  We decided on this design after much research and googling (there were, surprisingly, several "cob house blue prints" online).  Upon finding this one that we both liked, I tweaked the design to fit our needs and then figured the dimensions myself.  I want to build as small as possible, but our land has a restriction that requires a 1200 square foot minimum for a dwelling.  This plan should put us at about 1213 sq.ft.   (Sorry the pic isn't very clear, but I want to point out a rocket stove between the living/kitchen area, and also a small fireplace in the master.  The windows are not drawn in place at all, just spacing noting where there will be many windows for passive solar, also we plan on having a tiny root cellar/storm shelter under the pantry.At the end of the hall on the south end is a reading nook.  I think we will place our rainwater cisterns outside of bedrooms 2 and 3- since there will be no windows there anyway.)  Enjoy! 
     November is the month... I feel it! 


     Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!  Maybe, in the next year or so, we will be eating our own turkey!

No comments:

Post a Comment